At DLO, we’re passionate about supporting small businesses. We also realize that too often, the legal system can feel overly complex, expensive, and inaccessible to many of the communities we serve.
That’s why we’re excited to participate in the City of Minneapolis’ Business Technical Assistance Program (B-TAP), where we’re providing training and direct technical assistance to entrepreneurs to help them start, sustain, and expand their businesses in Minneapolis. The program is targeted at, but not limited to, the following audiences:
- Small and medium-sized businesses
- Minority and women-owned businesses
- Businesses with traction ready to advance to the next level
We’re hosting a number of educational presentations for Minneapolis business owners. Some of the topics we already have/will cover are:
- Protecting Your Finances (Preventing Scams, Separating Business and Personal, Conciliation Court, Contracts, DIY)
- Things to Know Before Signing a Lease
- Adding a Person to Your Business (Employee, Partner, Independent Contractor)
At each presentation, we identify business owners and entrepreneurs in attendance who could benefit from technical assistance with the topics we’re covering. We then work one-on-one with those businesses and help them with new business development, retention, and growth.
Our next presentation is “10 Things You Should Know Before Signing a Lease,” scheduled for May 18 at Moon Palace Books. We’ll discuss the major elements of a lease, offer advice on negotiating a business lease, and provide information about your rights and responsibilities as a business tenant. Join us!